On-Farm Agronomy Support for MWBGA projects
Lead Researchers: MPSG On-Farm Agronomy Team
Start Date: 2018
Project Length: 1 year
Project Status: COMPLETE
- Coordinate and contact potential farmer cooperators
- Be available during key test application(s) and harvesting.
- Take various measurements to help explain test results
- Provide a report analysing treatment differences.
- Project coordinator will work with local On-Farm Test coaches to collect field observations and harvest.
- On-Farm Test coaches may be local Manitoba Agriculture staff, retail or independent agronomists.
- Some compensation will be offered to agronomists that assist with ensuring untreated areas and harvest measurements.
MWBGA Funding Approved: $15,000
Funding Partners: Grower Collaborations & On-Farm Test coaches
Benefits to MB Producers:
- Access to latest research that can be applied to their farm.
- Determine profitability of the practices.
- Obtain fusarium damaged kernel (FDK) and deoxynivalenol (DON) results.
- Learn accepted on-farm-testing procedures.
Research Awareness: involving farmers in on-farm trials across the province created a great amount of interest in the research projects and demand for results.
Broadening of Research Objectives: including on-farm trials to accompany intensively managed small plot trials allowed for the collection of different types of data that complemented each other.
Geographic Distribution: establishment of on-farm trials allowed for data collection across many different soil types, landscapes, weather and management practices.